Every four years, the Elliot Clan Society holds a gathering of the clans in Scotland.
Date: August 24 – 27, 2017.
Location: Redheugh, Roxburghshire, Scotland
Wednesday 23 August – Edinburgh Tattoo featuring Clan Elliot
- The Chief will be asked to take the toast with the Pipe Major on 23rd August 2017
- We will be going on to the Castle Esplanade as a group then moving to our own seats for the event. To make a good show all members in the group should wear as much Elliot tartan as possible.
- 150 tickets will be available in the arena for our Clan Members to book.
- Seats can be booked from 21st November 2016 but no later than 1st March 2017.
- Tickets go on sale to general public 1st December, 2016.
- No more than eight tickets can be bought by any one Clan Member.
- A password has been allocated to our Clan must be used when booking seats.
- For those of you who are interested in attending send an email to email@example.com and you will be provided with the designated password to enable you to book your seats wherever you choose in the arena.
- Also provide the names of all Clan members who wish to travel by coach from Newcastleton.
- Please look on Edintattoo.co.uk for the seating plan and costs of the seats in the various areas.
Thursday 24 August – SCOCHA concert
7.30 pm – concert
- The Holm Show and the Elliot Clan Society are hosting this event to take place on the Holm Show field, Newcastleton.
- SCOCHA are an extremely popular and lively Hawick folk ‘n rock band.
- This will kick off the Gathering with a bang!
- Order tickets online for SCOCHA. (A small booking fee will be added.)
Friday 25 August – Main gathering day
10.30 – 12.30 – REDHEUGH Clan Room and House open
- Shop. Refreshments.
- Shuttle bus operating from Douglas Square, Newcastleton all day.
- No parking up at the house apart from disabled.
- Demonstration of dry stone wall and stick making.
1 pm – 2.30 pm – Barbecue in the field below the house
2.30 – 5 pm – Formal Gathering
- We blast off with the cannon!
7.30 pm – Officers’ Dinner
- By invitation only for officials of the International Clan Society.
- Suggested restaurants in Newcastleton for reservations:
Saturday 26 August – Holm Show day
- Suggest a visit to Hermitage Castle and the Heritage Centre in Newcastleton.
- Entry fees apply.
From 12 – Holm Show
- Small entry fee at the gate.
- This is a perfect example of an old established local agricultural show with animals, sports, terrier racing, Cumberland wrestling, crafts and competitions.
- Good fun.
- Bar and ice creams.
- Vintage machines.
6 – 7.30 pm
- “An Evening of Debatable Crack” event at Kirkandrews on Esk (10 miles away). Admission by donation.
- “Clans and Kilts at the Kirk” a weekend exhibition of the Clans who fought in the Debateable Lands open 11 am to 5 pm.
- Admission by donation.
- A beautiful location on the banks of the River Esk.
- 10 miles from Newcastleton.
- Home baking and soft drinks, tea & coffee.
Sunday 27 August – Day coach trip
10 am – Pick up from Douglas Square, Newcastleton
11 am – Church service at Bedrule Church
12.30 – Lunch at Dryburgh Abbey
3 pm – Afternoon guided tour of Abbotsford, home of the writer, Walter Scott. Return to Newcastleton about 6 pm
- There have been about 250 people at past gatherings.
- Children of any age are welcome.
- Photographs are permitted at Hermitage Castle and also in the Clan room.
- Weather in Scotland is never predictable! It may be warm and sunny; it may be cold and wet.
- Wet-weather gear is essential in Scotland at all times of the year, especially in the footwear department.
- Wear as much Elliot tartan as you can muster!
- Current and forecast weather conditions in Carlisle (about 40 minutes from Redheugh)
Travel and transportation
- Newcastle Airport — 1 1/2 hours away.
- Glasgow — two hours away.
- Edinburgh — two hours away.
- To get to Redheugh, you will have to hire a car.
- Stations: Carlisle and/or Lockerbie (both 45 mins drive away)
- Google map and directions from Edinburgh airport to Redhuegh.
- Newcastleton is a rural community with bad public transport and you will need a car. You will not, however, be able to park your car at Redheugh on the day of the Gathering as there will be a shuttle bus operating from Douglas Square, Newcastleton (approx. 2m away) all day.
Events and sightseeing
- There are many hotels and B&Bs nearby. If you would like help with accommodation please contact us and we will try to find you a location.
- Hotel and B&B list
- Special parking passes available on request.
You have two options for ordering tickets:
- Email ordering with payment through PayPal
- A printable order form
NOTE: You must be a member in good standing of the Elliot Clan Society to request tickets.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Elliot Clan Membership Number:
- Email address:
- Name of those attending:
- # of adult tickets required for the Gathering and BBQ (£32.00 each):
- # of child tickets (under 12) for the Gathering and BBQ (£16.00 each):
- # of day coach trip tickets (£35.00 each):
- Send payment via PayPal to: email@example.com
- We will acknowledge receipt of your order as soon as possible.
- Tickets will be sent to you by June 2017
- Tickets for the Sunday coach trip will be sold on a first come, first served basis as we have to limit numbers.